Friday, March 16, 2012

Maybelline Color Tattoo Eyeshadows


Top Left to Right: Too Cool, Tenacious Teal, Tough as Taupe. Bottom Left to Right: Bad to the Bronze, Audacious Asphalt.

Left to Right: Too Cool, Bad to the Bronze, Tenacious Teal, Audacious Asphalt, and Tough as Taupe
Everyone say hello to the first huge overly hyped product of 2012. People are calling these an exact dupe for MAC paint pots. Everyone is raving about these on youtube and in blogs. Well I'm about to give an unpopular opinion.

First of all, the colors that I purchased (minus the blue) are the only neutral colors that they have put out. Every other color is very bright and vivid. If these are going to be the dupes for MAC paint pots they are going to have to put out more neutrals. None of these colors make a good neutral base for eyeshadows in my opinion. I love champagne colors like Stila Kitten and MAC Bare Study for bases.

Although the range of color isn't anything to talk about, they do swatch beautifully. Here is my theory. Everyone who has raved about these has primarily swatched them. Because they aren't the most wearable colors, people have probably reviewed them based on the swatches. If I was reviewing them based on the swatches on my hands I would say how much I loved them. How long they stay. How they don't wash off when I wash my hands. How they stayed better than Stila and MAC's equivalent products... Yadda Yadda Yadda.

Here's the deal. Yes they do swatch beautifully. I love looking at them swatched on my hands. But on my eyes it's another story. I do not have oily lids. I never have creasing problems. My eyeshadow usually never budges. But no matter what I do, I can use primer or use it by itself, this product creases on me. I don't know if I'm special in this, but it is the most frustrating thing. All of the color will migrate into my crease. I always end up with a line of color tattoo in my crease. It's not attractive.

I really tried guys. I wore these every day for a week and I tried different primers under it. I am very disappointed with it. I wanted to like this more than anyone can possibly know. Some of them stayed better, but the color faded really quickly and it was just no good. I'd be interested to see if anyone else comes out and says they hate this.

Let me know if they work for you. If there is some secret trick for getting these to stay in place let me know as well. Please leave questions and comments and subscribe!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I have been looking at these for a while but never go for them. I think it is because I just don't like the color options for my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really disappointed with the color options as well. I still haven't seen another negative review but I just don't think that they are the MAC Paint Pot dupe that people have been saying they are.

    ReplyDelete